VLSI (Very-large-scale integration) is a process that means to create integrated circuits by combining thousands of transistor-based circuits into a single chip. VLSI began in the 1970s when complex semiconductor and communication technologies were being developed. The microprocessor is a VLSI device. Nearly all modern chips employ VLSI architectures. The first semiconductor chips held two transistors each. Subsequent advances added more and more transistors, and, as a consequence, more individual functions or systems were integrated over time. Current technology has moved far past this mark and today’s microprocessors have many millions of gates and billions of individual transistors. With the design & manufacturing market (both domestic & international) expanding rapidly, there is an enhanced demand of trained professionals who will boost the technical work force in the VLSI domain.
The course explores the design of CMOS integrated circuits, especially the following topics: CMOS transistor operation, CMOS digital logic design, CMOS analog circuit design, CMOS fabrication technology, VLSI design strategies, CAD tools for design and verification, memory design, processor design, system-on-chip, VLSI Testing.
Scope of VLSI:
- Design and Partitioning
- High performance computing and communication systems
- Neutral Networks
- Wafer-scale Integration
- Multi-module Systems
- Microelectronic systems
- Research & Development
It also provides you good job opportunities in the field like consumer electronics, medical electronics, communication, aero-space, computers etc. More and more chip designing companies have set up their units in India eying on the Indian talents; besides many of the Indian Major IT companies have forayed in Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) design in a big way.
FPGA Software Packages: Xilinx ISE, EDK, ChipScope Pro, PlanAhead, Quartus – II, NIOS – II IDE, Precision RTL Plus Synthesis – FPGA Advantage
FPGA Kits : Spartan 2, Spartan 3, Altera DE – 2, Altera DE – 0, NIOS Embedded Development Board, Stratix –III
ASIC Software Packages : Cadence – Analog and Digital flow, Mentor Graphics – HDL Designer, Modelsim SE mixed, Leo Spec L3 – ASIC and FPGA
- Research scholars, Staff members and students of our institution are being enriched with front-end and back-end design tools and gain research knowledge in the field of VLSI & enable our institution as a VLSI Research Hub.
- Our student got the first rank among the Anna University affiliated Engineering Colleges in the 2012 University examinations conducted by Anna University, Chennai.
- AICTE funded, E-CAD Lab installed
- TI University Programme, Analog and Embedded systems Lab installed
- Anna University Research Expert Committee visited our ECE department for the reorganisation of Anna University Research Centre.